In Memory of Dick Lang - 09 April 2019

In Memory of Dick Lang - 09 April 2019

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

2019 - Memorial Comments from USCGA Class of 1974




Thanks for the information you shared about Dick Lang. I remember Dick from the swab summer, I think. He was a kind, friendly soul. - Ted Millan, 22MAY

Dick and I flew out together to the Coast Guard Academy. We were from nearby high schools in the Seattle area. He was the only soul I knew within 2500 miles after we got to Connecticut. We were in the same summer section, one room apart. He was a great guy with a wonderful disposition. Very sorry to hear about his passing. - Marc Jorgensen, 18APR

thanks to you, Stumpy and George D for linking everyone re Dick Lang's passing (I have a vision of a viking fisherman's funeral being carried out the Columbia River bar on an ebb tide with the fish keeping a minute of silence). Dick was a star (gold and silver) who always seemed to take the game of cadet life in stride without being too serious about it.. our paths only crossed once after graduation when he was XO on his buoy tender in drydock @ Hunters Point shipyard & I was the MSO resident doing boiler COIs & crawling bilges - he was just trying to keep things going so they could get out of the yard and home..,..he leaves a big hole in the class's collective memory - Dave aka Gus Courtois, 16APR

Thanks for taking the lead on this. This loss hits hard. Dick was a quiet, kind force binding us together with wit, humor and thoughtfulness.  He will be sorely missed. - Will Henrickson, 16APR

All the best to Dick’s family in this tough time.  And all the best to Dick who is in a far better place.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and classmates. - Mike Waldman, 16APR

So sorry to hear of Dick’s passing.
Really kicking myself that I didn’t get my life arranged to make time to go fishing with him! He’ll definitely be missed.   Also sorry I missed the lunch. Currently visiting my sons & their families in Chicago and Nashville. - Brian Hunter, 11APR

(in response to Brantner's post) I'll try to pay more attention....I hope Dick was comfortable, and in no pain,  at least at the end. - Jim Peltzer, 10APR

Sorry to lose another great classmate – I hope his passing was peaceful. Dick always had a lot of class and grace and we’ll miss him. Glad that we had an opportunity to toast him too. If we could get Jim to smile a bit more, this would be a good photo. - Steve Brantner, 10APR

Wow. Last word on Monday was that he had days or weeks to live. So much for medical predictions. Still very sad, but glad it was a peaceful transition for him. Dick and I played intramural volleyball on the same team at CGA. He had springs in his legs - man could he jump! I loved being next to him and setting him up to stuff the opposition. Most simply ducked instead of trying to save or return the ball. What a turn of events for someone so athletic. Happy memories though. - Sandy Petersen, 10APR

Classmates - Monday's gathering was another great time (my pic attached), but as you know was tempered by fact that we learned that Dick Lang was in hospice care in Astoria. We also rec'd word from Stumpy that the prognosis was not good. Yesterday early evening I received text from Stumpy that Dick had passed. I have no other details. To me just another sad reminder that we have no guarantees that we will see tomorrow, and to cherish loved ones & friends (hint - maybe luncheons more often?) - Dan Ryan, 10APR

Learned last night Dick had passed away. No more details at this time. Will keep you apprised. - Rick Hartman, 10APR





This is indeed sad. I’m still working as a hospice chaplain, caring for folks I see only in their final weeks and days. But my enduring images of Dick still tend toward summer whites and dixie cups, ‘swabs out’ in Section Six . . . service dress blues on Mohegan Avenue with boxes of Dunkin Donuts . . . and a far better mind for mathematics than mine. - Rex Auker, 09APR

Thanks for passing this along, Jeff. So sad. Dick will be surely missed by many. - Mike Arnold, 09APR

So sorry to hear this. Thanks for passing along the sad news, Jeff. - Bob Wicklund, 09APR

Just learned that Dick Lang passed away peacefully around five pm this evening, 9 April. Jim Garrett was able to visit him yesterday. I'm glad we were able to drink a toast to him at the PacNW luncheon on Monday. Will pass on any additional info if it becomes available. - Jeff Garrett, 09APR

No comments:

Post a Comment